Friday, March 28, 2014

Airport Adventure

Friday - March 21 - 6 PM
My sis, Julie, and sis-in-law, Deborah, organized a farewell party for me at a local church gym. We played volleyball and had a good 'ole time hangin' out! The realization that I would really, really miss these people finally sunk in.


Sunday - March 23 - all day
Visited my old church in E. Lansing to see all the people that I hadn't seen since leaving in Oct. last year. It was wonderful to spend time with these dear ones who've been in my life since childhood.
After lunch, I headed up to St. Johns to get together with the ladies who sat at my table at a conference that took place last Oct., about a week before our family headed out. We were just as loud in that restaurant as we had been in the conference room! We've kept tabs on eachother this winter and it was such a blessing to catch up with everyone again. (love you, all! I know you're reading this :D)
Tuesday - March 25 - 7 PM
Attended one last small group meeting at my brother and sis-in-law, Marty & Deborah's, place. Joe & Bethany just got back from their honeymoon, so they were there, along with the other 'college and career age' friends that have been coming since Joe started the group a year and a half ago. Some of them hadn't been able to make it on Fri. so I was grateful for the chance to see them - and of course the ice cream was an extra, very much enjoyed, bonus ;)
Wednesday - March 26 - 2 AM
My alarm clock rang, waking me up from the few hrs. of shut-eye I'd gotten. I reset it to half and hour later, then lay there going over my mental check-list - all my personal stuff packed and put away so a sibling can use my room while I'm gone; my back-pack and purse all packed and ready, stuffed to the fullest with...(going over everything I packed - again!)...
        2:30 AM
Made another attempt to print my boarding pass online; it hadn't let me do it the night before. Decided it might be a glitch in the system, so I'd have to check in at the counter once we got to the airport.
        3:00 AM
Prayed with my family; hugs and good-byes; Dad and I headed out on the 2 hr. drive to Detroit
        little after 5:00 AM
Said good-bye to Dad. He couldn't come in with me because nobody else had come along to watch the car.
And so it began! At 7, I was supposed to be on my flight and on my way to Guatemala! Little did I know the change of plans ahead.

There were a lot of ppl. in line at the counter, but within 20 min. I was able to speak with one of the Spirit Airlines agents. She tried checking me in on her computer. It wasn't going thru so she called another agent over.
"You only have a one-way ticket booked. You can't go unless you have proof of a return ticket," I was told. They offered to book one for me but it had to be within a 90 days since that's the time period allotted for a visa to Guatemala. No attempt at explaining to them that I could renew my visa while I'm down there would convince them to let me go without a return ticket booked. I didn't have a working phone on me, but didn't want to book a ticket without talking to Dad first to see if there was a better option. The agents offered no more help but finally told me where a pay phone was.
After several attempts to call home and no one picking up, I finally talked to Mom and asked her to call Dad for me. By the time I spoke with Dad, he was an hour away, but said he'd just come back and pick me up. It was pretty much too late to do anything else.
So, at 9:00 I found myself back at home, wondering what in the world had just happened! It was a first attempt at flying out of the country for me and I found myself wondering why it had to happen to me. Thru the tears (yes, this girl who doesn't cry very easily cried that day) and the dazed feelings one verse kept coming to mind. It was like a rock to hold on to at a time when I didn't know what was going on or what would happen. Romans 8:28: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.Whether it was God keeping me back for another 2 weeks (I have another flight booked for April 9) or satan sticking his foot in to mess up anything possible, the promise is the same - everything will work out for good. Why? Because I love God and He has definitely called me with His purpose. 
I may never find out why, but I know Who's in control, so I can rest easy and don't have to worry. And, in the meantime, enjoy the extra time with my family and friends! 


5 comments:

  1. So sorry about the crazy flight issue!!! I got tears in my eyes reading this:'(

    I love you and I know something good will come of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gina!
    And, yeah, Deborah did such a fantastic job :d

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your next 9 days will be filled with good memories and we are praying for an uneventful trip on the 9th! Love ya! And remember, it IS ok to cry! :) ~ Rachel

    ReplyDelete