Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Who It's All About

This past Sunday, I got one of the biggest reminders of 'Who it's all about'...

One of the men on the team that's here this week came up to me after church to say thank-you to our worship team for what we're doing, then told me that he's the sound-guy at a large church in the States. He said that before service started, he was watching us set up the sound system and saw my dinky little keyboard. 
Pause.
He didn't use the word 'dinky,' but he did use 'little'! The keyboard I'm using has been through a LOT! It's a wonderful testament that Yamaha is the way to go when investing in a small keyboard. But there have been SO many times that I've wished for my bigger one that I left back in the States, especially during those times when certain keys don't work, the speakers buzz, the sound isn't the greatest, etc. During practice, I often find myself wishing for an upgrade but need to constantly remind myself to be grateful for what I have. 
Anyway.
He told me that in his mind he was thinking, "Oh, boy, this is probably gonna be one of those times...when I'll just have to mentally not take notes on how much better the music could sound...or we'll just sing to get it over with til it's time for the sermon part." 
Then he told me, "Rose, during the whole worship service, I never once thought about how the music could be better or how the sound needs proper EQ or anything. I could freely worship with my whole heart without once giving a thought to how everything sounded. God reminded me afterward that it's not about the equipment or the sound or the stage - it's about letting Him take control." 
We talked a bit more but I was taken back to a few hours before church started. For some reason, the keyboard wasn't letting the mic sound come through the main system. We also have a dinky little sound system, but it usually works to plug in one of the three guitars, my keyboard, and one mic; so I couldn't figure out what was going on this time! Maddie has a dinky little guitar amp, so we switched the keyboard to the amp and kept the one guitar and mic plugged into the main system. It kind of irritated me because now, my less than professional sounding keyboard, sounded even worse. The dinky little amp has even less options of tweaking than the dinky little sound 'board' does. But I took a breath and headed outside. 
The 'band' ~All My Soul~ and I have this little habit of going outside to pray right before services start. We always pray for God to take control, for this to be His time, and for the service to be what He wants it to be, so that His name would be glorified and not ours. Like I said, it's a little habit - a good one - but like all habits, we often just take it for granted. God spoke to me through the 'sound-guy' to remind me, again, Who this is all about. 
It's not about the equipment or the sound or the stage. It's about God. It's about worshiping Him because He loves us with an unboundless love that none of us deserves. It's about letting Him take control and doing what He wants. 

And it goes so much further than just a Sunday morning worship service...



5 comments:

  1. That "dinky little keyboard" has seen better days. It's sound has gone throughout the country and international, blessing many, many people. Like you referred to in your post--it's not about the music; it's about letting God take over! Keep rockin' for Jesus!
    I love you sissy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Sometimes we need tose dinky little reminders that God has it all figued out! :) Love ya, thanks for sharing! :)~ Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, I know - I'm always amazed by how many places that dinky little keyboard has been and how well it's served its time :D
    Love you, both!

    ReplyDelete