Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Prince of Peace

There's a New Year's practice encouraged in, what I call, FCA culture - it's encouraged in a lot of other ministries as well, but we actually know the author who wrote the book on this. This practice is to choose One Word for the year. Some people will pray and fast for a while, asking the Lord to bring them their One Word. Others will simply wait for a recurring theme or something that keeps coming to their attention as they go into the new year. Up until this year, I tended to be of a different camp. Instead of choosing a word for the year, I like to wait until the end of the year, then take time to reflect on what transpired during the course of that year and find a word that was a recurring theme - so, reflection vs. anticipation. For 2021 however, I find myself joining the anticipation camp, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it will change my perspective as the year rolls out. 

My One Word is one I stumbled on - no fasting; I did offer up a few prayers but, truthfully, not with much intentionality on this particular topic; no looking for a recurring theme; none of the "usual" habit making ways. Next year I'll probably enlist more of those good habits, but I don't think my stumbling upon method will make my One Word less significant. 

Peace.

Isaiah 9:6 says, "For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 

Some days it feels like the whole world is holding its breath, waiting with anticipation for the end of 2020 to arrive and bring with it a deep sigh of relief. This month, I've heard whisperings tainted with fear of "but what if that relief doesn't come? how long can this go on?" When I read that passage recently, I was struck - pierced - with how much we need the Prince of Peace right now and how we are being called to embrace more closely that part of Jesus. To breath in Him. His peace is one that surpasses human understanding, going into the deep crevices and washing out the uncertainty. He is true peace and is what we need to grab on to and carry with us into 2021.


"Now may the God of peace— who brought up from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great Shepherd of the sheep, and ratified an eternal covenant with his blood—may he equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to him. All glory to him forever and ever! Amen."

~Hebrews 13:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment