Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What's in a Week

Disclaimer: time, order of operation, activities, and outfits are subject to change - daily! :) 

Monday -  Thursday

Alarm goes off at 6:30. I roll out of bed, turn on some worship music, pull on some jeans and my 'Jesucristo Es Mi Amigo' t-shirt. before pattering out to the kitchen to get the coffee going. While the coffee is brewing, I fix my bed, put on my shoes, brush my teeth, do my hair, etc. I grab my Bible and head back to the kitchen to pour a cup of coffee and open some windows to let in the fresh morning air. Coffee and Bible in hand, the front door gets unlocked and I step out - only to pause for a second to breathe in the beauty of the spectacular view from my patio. Guatemala is a beautiful country and I get one of the best views on the property right outside my apartment. 

As I settle down for some quality time with God, my first thought is always one of thankfulness for the little ways that He reveals Himself to me. In the beauty, in the need, in the hearts and dreams of the people. I can hear dogs barking, roosters crowing, and horns already honking in the city nearby. 

Between 7:30 and 8:00, the native workers show up at the compound. By 8:10, the sounds of work, conversation, and laughter float up to my kitchen window where I'm washing dishes accumulated from the last few days. Breakfast probably consisted of yogurt and fresh fruit, although eggs and/or bread find their way onto my plate on occasion. Soon, I'm at my computer jotting down notes about yesterday's visits and checking emails and messages. 

Around 9:30, I head out with my coworkers for a day of doing what caseworkers do. Gloria, the sweet, bubbly, chatty one usually keeps bits and pieces of conversation going. Henry, the calm, humorous, sensible one nods and offers information when needed. Example of a typical conversation after information on where we're going and who we'll be visiting is done: 

Gloria tells me, "I've always wanted to be a tree! I see them look so happy when a breeze comes through and they have no care in the world." 

Henry goes, "Um, I don't think you wanna be a tree, Gloria." 

"Why not?" 

"They have one huge thing to worry about every single day." 

"What's that?" 

"They might get cut down." 

So ends his part of the conversation, but Gloria can't quit laughing and for several days she refers to how eye-opening Henry was in pointing out that she doesn't want to be a tree, always with the same humor involved! 

We normally visit 4-5 families a day. Some days it's up to 7 families if they live very close to eachother. Occasionally, we only visit 2 or 3 because we might have a program in the afternoon on teaching the families how to use the supplies in their food/essentials baskets to the fullest extent and in a healthy way.
A normal visit consists of the mother, grandmother, or aunt filling us in on how things have been since last month's visit. The children here normally only have school in the forenoons, so the afternoon's visits will focus more on the children's schoolwork. Right now, their report cards have come back from the first quarter. Depending on their scores, we spend extra time in tutoring them with the difficult subjects. The visits usually end with a Bible story and prayer for the specific needs of the family.  

Every family has their own story. Every life has their own hopes, dreams, and struggles. Jordan, an 11 yr. old. asks his mom why God let his father die 5 years ago. Carmin struggles with unfounded accusations from some of the village women that she is trying to steal their husbands. Natalia's family is sick a lot and her family is looked down on in their community. She and her sister - 14 and 16 - have never had the opportunity to attend school because of finances.
Since Jose's father left his mother, her family almost shuns them. She is afraid that her brother will ask her to move off the land where her house is right now. Juan only has a 2nd grade education. He had to quit school and go to work to provide for his mother and siblings. Maria's first husband left her with two children. Her second husband left her with three more, so now, at 37, she has five children that she is raising by herself. The stories go on. Each one known personally by God. Each one giving us the opportunity to spread the light, hope, and life of Christ as we step into these simple, often dirty, homes. They are proof that love can flow and blossom in the most primitive conditions. 

After work, I fill my evening with a book, puzzle, watering the garden, games with Maddie (Mads) and Abbey (Abs) and hangin out with the Binduses, catching up on Facebook, blogging, or thanks to wi-fi and Skype, sometimes I'll call a family member or friend for a chat. Rosa, the main cook, will have dinner made for me several days a week. Between 10:00 and 10:30, I tumble into bed after a nice warm shower, always thankful for the many opportunities in a day to do what I love doing. 

Friday and Saturday 

On Fridays, I have the option of going out with Kique and Sonia or finding something else to do. Kique is the native overseer of the sponsorship program here while Sonia is the secretary, and more, of Manos de Jesus. They visit the families who have been in the program for more than a year. This past weekend, Trish and Craig were gone on an anniversary get away, so I was in charge of the girls. We had plans, but I ended up sick on Fri. and didn't do much. Maddie has a dance class with Abbey, Ella, and two other girls. Lauren's mom is here for several weeks, so on Saturday we had a dance recital scheduled especially so that she could be here. Fri. or Sat. is also usually movie night for us girls. This coming weekend I'm hoping to go to Canilla' for a visit. 

Sunday 

I have the wonderful opportunity of leading worship on Sundays for our little missionary church. Mads and Abs play some guitar, so most Saturdays find us jamming in my apartment, practicing for the next morning. Carlos and Emily work at a nearby leadership training mission; Carlos usually shares the Word with us. Their girls are the others in Maddie's dance class. There are also a few other local missionary families who come. This last Sun. after church, Mads, Abs, and I headed up the mountain on a hike and for a picnic lunch. 

So, there you have it. A pretty normal week. Throw in many changing plans, lots of music, and various miscellaneous happenings and it pretty much describes my life - for now! 


Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. Proverbs 19:21 

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know you are a coffee drinker!
    Love the 'tree"story! haha! :) Thanks for filling us in on the little details. It makes it feel like I could be there with you! :) ~ Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. i echo Rachel's comment-except i knew you drink coffee ;) ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks gals! I love getting feedback - and yes, I do drink coffee ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so good at what you do!~ Gina

    ReplyDelete